Folsom High School Music Program
The Folsom High School Music Program is nationally-recognized for excellence in music. The Marching Band, Jazz Bands and Choirs, and Orchestra win awards at the local, regional, and national level year-after-year.
DownBeat Magazine Awards
DownBeat magazine, the monthly Wallstreet Journal of jazz, blues, and roots music, has served as the book of record for the professional jazz world since 1934. Its Jazz Hall of Fame at Universal Studios’ City Jazz club in Orlando, Florida honors legends including Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Ella Fitzgerald, Buddy Rich, Frank Sinatra, Herbie Hancock and many, many more.
Every spring for 40 years, Downbeat devotes an issue to highlighting young musicians at the college, high school and middle school levels. Features in the annual issue are the results of a national competition in which hundreds of schools submit recordings by their bands and choirs to be heard and judged by professional musicians and critics. A crucial point of this competition is that the judges are not allowed to know the names of the schools whose recordings they are hearing. This way they can ensure a non-biased result, year after year. Our Folsom Music high school big band jazz, small combo jazz, jazz choir and middle school jazz bands have collectively earned over 50 awards in this prestigious national and international forum.
This year, Folsom High School was recognized in a stunning and exceptional way. The judges awarded Folsom as having both the best high school jazz big band and the best high school jazz choir in the country! Additionally, our jazz combo, a smaller group made up of seasoned students who play their own arrangements, were awarded an "Outstanding Performance" and second place in the country. Be proud, Bulldogs, of your director Curtis Gaesser, and your fellow students who are literally the best in the nation!
We continue to salute and admire Folsom Music’s tradition of excellence in music education!
Best High School in the Nation Vocal Jazz Winner: 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
High School Vocal Outstanding Performance: 2006, 2010
Best High School Big Band in the Nation Winner: 1993, 1999, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
High School Band Outstanding Performance: 2010
High School Jazz Combo Outstanding Performance: 2012, 2015, 2017
Enjoy a selection of the FHS music program's award winning performances. Click on description:
- Folsom High School Jazz Band I at the 2017 Next Generation Monterey Jazz Festival, April 2017, 2nd Place Winner earning a spot as a Guest Artist in the 60th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival.
- Folsom High School Jazz Combo in the 2017 Reno Jazz Festival.
- Folsom High School Jazz Band I at the 2015 Next Generation Jazz Festival, March 28, 2015. Winner of the High School Big Band Division.
- Folsom High School Jazz Band I in 2016 Reno Jazz Festival. Category winner.
- Folsom High School Combo I winning performance in the High School Combo division at the 2014 Next Generation Jazz Festival Presented by Monterey Jazz Festival, March 29, 2014.
- Folsom High School Jazz Choir I's winning performance at the 2014 Next Generation Jazz Festival Presented by Monterey Jazz Festival, March 29, 2014.
- Award-winning Folsom High School Jazz Choir 1 performing Witchy Woman by The Eagles at the Folsom Jazz Festival, January 28, 2012. Soloist Tanner Robinson.
- Award-winning Folsom High School Jazz Choir performing "Mr. McGee" at the Folsom Jazz Festival, January 20, 2012. Soloist Charlotte H.. Arranged by Kerry Marsh.
Folsom High School Music Boosters
The Folsom High School Music Boosters is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is promoting excellence through music education, and is realized through the efforts and talents of our dedicated volunteers and community.
We provide fundraising and event support to the Folsom High School music program.